Sunday 9 January 2011

Shutter Island - My Review!






Drama set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island.


“Another creepy masterpiece by Alfred Hitchcock” is what I would have expected to see quoted on the promotional posters after watching this movie.  The look, the feel and even the eerie sound of the ferry – which in two notes manages to nearly be as scary and effective as the ‘Jaws’ music – is completely reminiscent of classic Hitchcock.  In fact, the movie appears to be a successful collaboration of many box office hits including ‘The Silence of the Lambs’, ’The Sixth Sense’, the very recent ‘Inception’ and even a bit of ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’. Not that this was a bad thing, it just meant that I personally wasn’t as blown away by the many twists and turns as I should have been, because somehow I felt that I had seen them all before.  

Still, this movie was stylishly done and Scorsese managed to create an ironic twisted island whereby it was eerie and spooky yet in many scenes it also appears so calm and beautiful.  DiCaprio has definitely evolved into leading man status and he succeeds in drawing the audience in and taking them with him on his nightmarish journey.  However, being a lover of quite a lot of DiCaprio’s recent movies including ‘Inception’ and another classic Scorsese  movie ‘The Departed’, I’m beginning to think that he has been playing the same mysterious, moody, troubled, non-trusting character for a bit too long.  Maybe a bit of a change needed Leo?  

The best thing about this movie for me was when I came into work on Monday to discuss it with my friends and it became apparent quite quickly that we all had different ideas about some of the twists and turns in the movie – so when I thought that I had everything sussed out, maybe I didn’t.  Any movie that gets a good debate going with friends is a good movie in my opinion!

Enjoy!

Rating: 7.5/10 (75%)

No comments:

Post a Comment