Sunday 9 January 2011

The Ghost - My Review!


A ghostwriter hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.

This was a perfect Sunday night suspense thriller by Roman Polanski.  A proper sit down in front of the fire and try to unravel the plot movie. 

Being a woman, it was weird seeing Kim Cattrall aka Samantha from ‘Sex in the City’, taking on the role of a business woman, wearing a pinstripe suit and not mentioning the word ‘sex’ once.  Samantha aside, I thought the casting was great (with appearances by James Belushi, Timothy Hutton, Tom Wilkinson and the wonderful ‘I want to take him home and care for him’ Eli Wallach) although to be honest I don’t really know what I was to make of Ewan McGregor’s character i.e. the Ghost.  Having recently watched ‘The Social Network’ it was obvious that the characters were portrayed in such a way that you weren’t meant to like them.  I understood that and it worked, I didn’t like any of them.  But with ‘The Ghost’ I don’t think there was any real reason for me to be left wondering if I should like this guy or not - maybe it’s not me and it just wasn’t the best performance that Ewan McGregor could have given?  I think I prefer him in roles were he belts out that brilliant laugh. 

Pierce Brosnan portrayed the ex prime minister quite well.  That is, if we were led to believe that he was a man who was a bit shady and dependent on others, in this case mostly his wife Ruth, to constantly advise him and tell him what (and what not) to do.  Definitely not that likeable.

Although there was definitely twists and turns in this movie, there was room for more ‘edge of the seat’ thrills.

All in all it was a good film, well acted (question mark beside McGregor), well written and fast enough moving to keep you wondering what the ending is going to bring.

Rating: 6.5/10 (65%)

No comments:

Post a Comment