Monday 10 January 2011

Centurion - My Review!

A splinter group of Roman Soldiers fight for their lives behind enemy lines after their legion is decimated in a devastating guerrilla attack.

A group of men from different backgrounds are brought together by war and a conquest which will take them on a long, emotional and dangerous journey.  Cue running over snow capped mountains and forests, chases by wolves and demons and the token love story thrown in.  Will they all stick together? Will they all make it alive?   No it is not ‘Lord of the Rings’ its ‘The Centurion”!

Arragon, sorry ‘The Centurion’, is played by the brilliant Michael Fassbender and I really hope we see more of him in 2011.  Talking about eye-candy, the casting crew were definitely making sure that they pleased both the boys and the girls when they were making this movie.  I found the ‘demon’ girl (played by Olga Kurylenko) to be a right pain in the arse to be honest and I was hoping and praying that they would kill her off early on.  I won’t say if they did and I will let you endure her as well.  I mean come on, look at the size of her and we are meant to believe that she could pack a punch to rival Tyson!  In fairness I’m not a massive fan of violent babe characters, I find them toe-curling.


This was definitely a violent movie with lots of blood and guts, so I wouldn’t advise sitting down to watch this if you are having your dinner.

The more I think of it, this was such a bloke movie! The violence, the fighting babes, the manly Romans, the running, the fighting, total testosterone!!

The main thing for me was seeing McNulty, or Dominic West, from the brilliant ‘The Wire’ again! It doesn’t matter what he plays, he has that knowing glint in his eye and that cheeky chappy smile (all because of ‘The Wire’) and its always great seeing him pop up on screen.  I really made that sound like his character was like something out of ‘Cheers’, it wasn’t. He plays General Titus and his character is very serious.

All in all, I thought this movie was ok but a bit silly and too blokish.  I thought the casting was good and I was forever going “oh there’s your man!” but then usually following it up with “oh, thats him dead?”.

If you like ‘Lord of the Rings’, ‘Gladiator’ and ‘Predator’ then you will like this film because it’s a blend of all 3.

My rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment